The function and principle of fault current limiter
Function of fault current limiter
The function of the fault current limiter (Fault Current Limiter) is to limit the size of the fault current that occurs in the power system to protect system equipment and improve system reliability.
Fault current refers to the abnormal increase in current in the power system due to line short circuit, ground fault and other reasons. The occurrence of fault currents can cause damage to equipment, cables, switches and other system components and adversely affect the stability of the system.
The main function of the fault current limiter is to respond quickly when a fault occurs in the power system and limit the size of the fault current to reduce the impact of the fault on the system. It has the following functions:
1. Protect equipment: The fault current limiter can limit the size of the current and prevent the current from exceeding the limit that the equipment can withstand, thereby reducing the risk of damage to the equipment. It protects generators, transformers, switches and other electrical equipment from excessive currents.
2. Improve system reliability: By limiting the size of the fault current, the fault current limiter can prevent the spread of faults and improve the reliability and stability of the power system. It can reduce the scope and duration of faults, reduce the risk of outages, and improve the reliability of grid operations.
3. Reduce power loss: While limiting fault current, the fault current limiter can also reduce current loss in the power system. By controlling the magnitude of fault current, it can reduce energy loss and improve the effective use of electrical energy.
Fault current limiters play an important protective role in power systems. It can limit the size of fault current, protect equipment from overload and damage, and improve system reliability and stability.
This type of FCL generally uses power electronic devices to connect or disconnect the circuit at high speed, and then bypasses or puts in resistors, capacitors, reactors and other devices to increase the impedance of the loop and thereby limit the fault current.
The basic working principle of FCL is to limit fault current by rapidly changing the impedance of the circuit. It usually consists of power electronic devices (such as IGBT, MOSFET, etc.) and their control circuits. When a fault occurs in the power system, FCL can quickly detect the fault current and change the impedance of the circuit by controlling the on-off state of the power electronic devices, thereby limiting the size of the fault current.
FCL based on power electronics technology has many advantages, such as fast response, good limiting effect, and high reliability. It can effectively protect power equipment and avoid equipment damage due to fault current. It can also improve the stability of the power system and reduce the impact of faults on the power system.
In practical applications, FCL based on power electronics technology can be used in many fields such as power generation systems, power distribution systems, and power transmission systems. In the power generation system, FCL can protect important equipment such as generators and transformers; in the power distribution system, FCL can improve the quality and reliability of power supply and reduce the impact of faults on users; in the power transmission system, FCL can improve the stability of the power grid. , reduce the impact of faults on the power grid.
Review Editor: Huang Fei
#function #principle #fault #current #limiter
- What are shortwave communications and longwave communications? Which one has the longer transmission distance? Shortwave or longwave?
- What is a GTMS connector? What are the applications of GTMS connectors?
- What is the difference between normal power supply ripple and noise?
- Bad Q4 for mobile network investment
- How will FPGA affect AI in 2024?
- Things to consider when synchronizing oscilloscopes A brief analysis of the causes of timing errors between oscilloscopes
- Is the smaller the charger ripple the better?
- ST ToF 3D LiDAR module has 2.3k resolution
- Innovative hybrid case design and partial packaging of TCI power series
- The most comprehensive and latest overview of the automotive sensor field and its complete industry chain