What is data acquisition DAQ?
Data acquisition (DAQ) refers to the process of measuring electrical or physical parameters such as voltage, current, temperature, pressure, sound, or motion. In order to analyze and store relevant signals for subsequent processing, we must convert these signals into digital data. DAQ systems are an integral part of many applications, including scientific research, industrial automation, environmental monitoring, and medical diagnostics.
Diverse applications of data collection in various fields
Data acquisition plays an important role in many fields, allowing workers to perform precise measurements and analysis of a variety of physical and electrical phenomena:
1. In the field of scientific research: Data collection is not only an indispensable technology for exploring physical phenomena such as temperature fluctuations, pressure changes, and movement, but is also of vital significance for medical research that requires monitoring key health indicators such as heart rate and blood pressure.
2. In the field of industrial automation: For this field, data collection is an essential link in monitoring the entire manufacturing process. Chemical plants can use data collection to evaluate key factors such as temperature and pressure and monitor the operation of robotic assembly lines to streamline industrial operations.
3. In the field of environmental monitoring: This technology can be called an important partner in environmental protection work. Data collection helps track important environmental indicators such as air quality, humidity and temperature, and can play an important role in assessing emissions from industrial facilities and analyzing water quality in rivers and lakes.
4. In the aerospace and defense field: Data collection can effectively manage and monitor complex systems in aerospace and defense applications. The technology can help staff evaluate the performance of aircraft engines or monitor parameters such as temperature and pressure in defense equipment in real time.
5. In the field of medical diagnostics: In the field of healthcare, workers can use data acquisition technology to record important physiological data such as electrocardiogram, electroencephalogram and electromyogram readings. This feature is especially important for surgical procedures and diagnostic testing.
All in all, data collection has strong practical implications for many industries, especially for applications that require detailed, accurate, and reliable data collection and analysis. Whether it is promoting scientific research; optimizing industrial processes; protecting the environment; ensuring safety in the automotive, aerospace and defense fields, or providing auxiliary support for medical diagnosis, data acquisition technology is an indispensable element.
What is a DAQ system?
A DAQ (data acquisition) system refers to a set of components and devices designed to measure and collect data using various types of sensors. The system needs to convert physical or electrical signals into digital data for further analysis and processing.
A DAQ system typically consists of three main parts:
1. Sensor: This device converts physical or electrical signals such as temperature, pressure, or voltage into quantities that can be measured.
2. Signal conditioning circuit: This circuit can amplify, filter or digitize the data collected by the sensor to improve its quality and accuracy.
3. Data acquisition equipment: This equipment can sample and digitize the conditioned signal, and then send it to a computer or other processing unit for analysis and storage. Data acquisition devices can be either stand-alone units or plug-in cards that connect to a computer's PCI or USB port.
At present, DAQ systems have been widely used in many application fields such as scientific research, industrial automation, environmental monitoring, aerospace, national defense, and medical diagnosis. The system plays a vital role in measuring, analyzing and controlling various physical or electrical phenomena by helping researchers, engineers and technicians collect and analyze data accurately and efficiently.
How to choose a data collection system
Whether the selected data acquisition (DAQ) system is suitable is related to whether we can obtain accurate and reliable measurement data during the implementation of various applications. The effectiveness of a DAQ system depends on its ability to accurately meet specific measurement requirements, including the following key considerations:
1. Accuracy and resolution: Accuracy is the core indicator of the effectiveness of the DAQ system. It depends to a large extent on the resolution of the analog-to-digital converter (ADC) and the stability of the reference voltage. In order to obtain more accurate measurement data, please choose a system with higher ADC resolution and stable reference voltage.
2. Sampling rate: For applications that need to process rapidly changing signals, this parameter is of vital significance; a higher sampling rate is an indispensable element to achieve high-speed data acquisition and system dynamic control.
3. Signal conditioning: Signal conditioning refers to the amplification, filtering or digital processing of signals collected by various sensors to achieve the purpose of improving signal quality and accuracy. Powerful signal conditioning capabilities can greatly help the system adapt to different types of sensors such as thermocouples, strain gauges and accelerometers.
4. Software compatibility and functionality: Ensure that the DAQ system is equipped with software that is easy to use, contains effective data visualization tools, and supports multiple programming languages. Compatibility with multiple operating systems such as Windows, Linux or Mac OS can effectively enhance the system's versatility.
5. Number of channels: The number of channels the system can support should be considered. Higher channel counts increase system flexibility and scalability when handling a variety of signals.
6. Environmental adaptability: Please evaluate the system's ability to operate in your specific application environment.
7. Budget constraints: Please evaluate the total cost, which should include the cost of purchasing the system or equipment and the cost of additional accessories or software.
Careful consideration of the above will help you select a DAQ system that not only meets your specific needs, but also balances performance, versatility, and budget. This method can ensure that the selected system can quickly and effectively complete the required data collection tasks.
Use DAQ system to assist engineering decision-making
DAQ systems play a vital role in monitoring physical or electrical phenomena by capturing and recording data from a variety of sensors. The system leverages rich and detailed data to help engineers gain insights, enabling them to make more informed decisions in areas such as:
• Trend and pattern analysis: Engineers can use DAQ systems to determine trends in parameters such as temperature or pressure to identify possible problems early.
• Fault detection and diagnosis: By analyzing data in the DAQ system, engineers can accurately determine the faults that exist in each system and identify components or sensors that are not working properly.
• Performance Optimization: DAQ data can help engineers identify inefficiencies, guide them to optimize system performance, and increase productivity.
• Predictive maintenance: Users can predict maintenance needs by analyzing data trends, thereby effectively preventing system failures.
• Quality control: In the manufacturing industry, DAQ systems can detect any non-compliance with required specifications, which is very important in ensuring product quality.
Leverage advanced technology to improve data collection performance
Integration of advanced calibration technology
The outstanding performance of today's data acquisition systems is largely due to advanced self-calibration techniques using third-order polynomials. This innovative operating method automatically adjusts the calibration coefficients based on predetermined input signals, thus significantly improving measurement accuracy. This kind of accuracy is essential for industries such as aerospace, defense and automotive that need to ensure accuracy in data collection.
Importance of Isolation to Measurement Accuracy
Isolation plays a very important role in ensuring the accuracy and reliability of DAQ systems. Isolation refers to providing shielding for measurement circuits to prevent measurement results from being distorted by electrical noise, voltage differences, etc. In order to ensure the integrity of the data collected, we must apply isolation technologies such as electrical isolation or magnetic isolation in high-voltage environments or areas prone to electrical interference.
Advanced isolation technology helps achieve reliable measurement results
Ensuring the integrity of measurement results is a basic requirement for data collection. DAQ systems often utilize advanced isolation methods to protect sensitive measurement components from external electrical interference. This system can prevent noise or voltage fluctuations from affecting the accuracy of data by building a physical or electromagnetic barrier, so it is of vital significance in environments with strong electromagnetic interference or unstable electrical conditions.
Leveraging signal streaming and remote monitoring
Signal flow and remote monitoring are two major breakthroughs in the field of DAQ. High-speed signal streaming helps systems capture and analyze data in real time, an essential feature in ever-changing and demanding test environments. In addition, the remote monitoring function can also help operators achieve remote data management and visualization, thereby effectively improving operational flexibility and efficiency in complex systems involving continuous monitoring.
Keithley DAQ System Features Overview
Keithley Instruments offers a range of advanced data acquisition systems that are renowned for their precise measurement capabilities, fast scanning performance and rich set-up options. These systems are designed to meet a variety of measurement and analysis needs in fields such as scientific research and industrial automation.
Keithley DAQ6510: Feature-Rich Data Acquisition System
The Keithley DAQ6510 combines a range of essential functions into a single, reliable unit, making it synonymous with versatile data acquisition systems. The system can meet various measurement needs, and its notable features include:
• High-precision multimeter: can accurately measure various electrical parameters.
• Quick scan function: ensures fast data collection.
• Digitization function: Converts analog signals to digital format.
• Integrated data logger: records and stores data efficiently.
• Wide range of measurement fields: capable of measuring parameters such as voltage, current, resistance, capacitance, temperature and frequency.
• Support multiple channels: It can support 80 channels at the same time, which is very suitable for large-scale data collection.
• Excellent scan rate: The scan rate can reach 1 MS/s, which can effectively simplify the data collection process.
The Keithley DAQ6510 features enhanced connectivity and seamless integration with a variety of systems, making it ideal for applications that require comprehensive collection of diverse data. It supports multiple channels and maintains high scan rates, making it the first choice for large-scale data acquisition tasks.
Keithley DMM7510: Digital multimeter with real-time sampling capability
The Keithley DMM7510 combines the power of a high-precision digital multimeter with a real-time sampling oscilloscope. Its main features include:
• Simple and easy to use interface
• Supports measurement of voltage, current, resistance, capacitance and temperature
• Equipped with 20 channels
• The device has a sampling rate of up to 1 MS/s, making it ideal for applications that require detailed and rapid measurement of multiple parameters
Keithley DMM6500: Versatile Benchtop/System Digital Multimeter
The DMM6500 61⁄2-digit desktop/system digital multimeter is another core product of Keithley. This multimeter is ideal for applications that require high-speed measurements and tracking of multiple parameters. The product has excellent flexibility and can be used as a stand-alone instrument or integrated into a larger DAQ system as a component. Its main features include:
• Supports measurement of voltage, current, resistance and other parameters
• Supports up to 10 channels
• Sampling rates up to 10 MS/s
Each system from Keithley Instruments offers unique advantages, allowing you to perform efficient and accurate data acquisition based on the specifics of a variety of applications.
Why choose a Keithley DAQ system?
High accuracy: Keithley Instruments' DAQ system uses high-precision components such as high-resolution ADC, stable reference voltage system and high-quality signal conditioning circuitry to ensure accurate measurement results.
Support high-speed scanning: Keithley Instruments' DAQ system supports high-speed scanning, enabling fast data acquisition and analysis. This feature makes it ideal for applications requiring real-time monitoring and control.
Flexible configuration: Keithley Instruments' DAQ systems are designed to be flexible and configurable, so users can customize the system to suit their measurement needs. Specific settings include support for various sensor types, input/output configurations, and signal conditioning options.
Easy-to-use software: Keithley Instruments' DAQ systems come with easy-to-use software that includes data visualization tools and supports multiple programming languages. This enables users to easily control and analyze data in the system.
Industry-Leading Support: Keithley Instruments is known for its industry-leading support, including comprehensive documentation, technical support, and training programs. These support services ensure that users can make full use of their DAQ system and achieve optimal performance.
All in all, Keithley Instruments' DAQ systems lead the industry in accuracy, speed, flexibility and ease of use. Keithley Instruments' DAQ systems are suitable for a variety of uses, such as research, automation and data collection applications in a variety of industries. Users can configure its powerful components in different ways and use easy-to-use software to easily complete data collection and analysis in the aerospace and defense fields.
Application of DAQ system in automotive battery testing
The rapid development of new energy vehicles in recent years has driven the rapid development of the power battery industry. The power battery is composed of Cell-->Module-->Pack.
As the smallest unit of a power battery, the battery cell is also an electrical energy storage unit. It must have a high energy density to store as much electrical energy as possible so that electric vehicles can have a longer cruising range. In addition, the life of the battery core is also the most critical factor. Damage to any battery core will lead to damage to the entire battery pack. Therefore, during the battery cell production process, relevant tests must be conducted to better ensure the quality of power batteries.
This type of equipment is generally system equipment with batteries larger than 100CH. During the production process, the voltage and current of the equipment's charging and discharging need to be calibrated regularly. The standard instrument for calibration must be at least a 6½ digital multimeter.
DMM6500 multi-channel measurement diagram
DMM6500 is a 6½ DMM with a voltage accuracy of 1mV and a current accuracy of 0.5mA. It is suitable for cell calibration. In addition, you can also choose DMM7510 with higher voltage accuracy (0.1mV).
The single cell open circuit voltage, AC internal resistance, and case voltage testing of the cell OCV testing machine are an important part of the battery production process. They need to meet the OCV accuracy of 0.1mV and the case voltage accuracy of 1mV. DMM7510 can fully meet the technical requirements of this link.
Schematic diagram of DMM7510 embedded battery cell OCV test equipment
According to the production process flow of the battery industry, batteries will be graded intensively in the later stages of battery production. The grading function can automatically scan codes of incoming batteries and select and grade the completed batteries according to specific rules. The high precision and stability of DMM7510 are important tools to ensure consistent battery classification.
Schematic diagram of DMM7510 embedded battery cell grouping, binning and matching equipment
Under the diversified modern technology landscape, data acquisition (DAQ) has quietly become an indispensable tool in various fields. Today, whether we want to obtain accurate scientific measurement results, optimize industrial processes, maintain environmental integrity, or promote the development of medical diagnostics, DAQ systems have undoubtedly become an indispensable part. Its advanced calibration capabilities, powerful isolation technology, and innovative features such as signal flow and remote monitoring are all examples of its outstanding versatility and adaptability. As the need to collect accurate, reliable data grows, DAQ systems become increasingly important in driving informed decision-making and technological advancement.
Learn more about Tektronix and Keithley digital multimeter DMM specifications, applications or a complete selection guide at https://www.tek.com.cn/products/keithley/benchtop-digital-multimeter.
Headquartered in Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Tektronix is committed to providing innovative, precise, easy-to-operate test, measurement and monitoring solutions to solve various problems, unlock insights and promote innovation capabilities. For more than 70 years, Tektronix has been at the forefront of the digital age. Welcome to join our innovation journey, please log in: tek.com.cn
#data #acquisition #DAQ
- ASML lithography machine technology leader, challenges and opportunities coexist
- What is the eye diagram on PCB and how is it formed?
- Advanced attenuators and terminations deliver superior RF solutions
- Texas Instruments launches AWR2544 radar sensor chip tailored for satellite architecture
- Bourns Expands SinglFuse SMD Fuses with Two High Voltage/Current Model Series
- Why is the inductor a difficult problem in the BUCK circuit, rather than a simple combination of MOS tube and three components?
- New audio design services launched
- Analysis of electrostatic surge protection scheme for NB-IoT device antennas
- New product launch | Xianji Semiconductor joins hands with VeriSilicon to break through multimedia MCU performance and create a new generation of digital instruments
- Innovative expanded beam fibre optic connector technology